NONE TOPIC

Let's talk about it
theotonic
Pronouns: they/them

NONE TOPIC

#1 Post by theotonic »

when you're accustomed to the unthreaded, yelling-into-the-void posting style popularized by those o t h e r s o c i a l media s i t e s, it can be tough to adjust/readjust to the structure of a message board.

in a sea of Topics, this is the Anti-Topic.

wanna share your random thoughts that don't fit into a current topic? don't feel like creating a whole new thread? worry not, NONE TOPIC is the perfect place to set them free from yer brain. please engage with each other's thoughts all you'd like, but don't feel obligated to respond to the previous post or contribute to an ongoing conversation before posting -- just let it all hang out! :cool:
Bayer's Prayer

uhpkkim
Name 2: PK

#2 Post by uhpkkim »

New devices are weird intentional trash garbage and I infinitely trust something more if it's got screws I can unscrew, take it apart and put it back together. The other night it took 4 people a half hour to take a sim card out of a smart phone and when it finally came out it was through a weird brute forcing that lead to it flying across the room and getting lost on the floor briefly.

I feel similarly to digital objects: this applies to using a forum over social media for sure. But also I trust ancient computer programs so much more than any new shit. Especially if that program has one function and is only one screen with an old blocky grey GUI. The program I use to rip DVDs is mostly a big ugly button that says "GO"

theotonic

#3 Post by theotonic »

TIL that i can use emojis in the clip name field in ableton. :glad: i must practice restraint here, i already waste so much time on color-coding stuff -- but what a thrill!

Bayer's Prayer

uhpkkim

#4 Post by uhpkkim »

Sometimes I think of file sizes as a weird allegory, like, I might utter that a file with a larger file size is "heavier" or more frequently "more expensive", and a smaller file might be "cheaper". As in: "ah shoot that's too expensive to fit on this drive, I gotta sell some expensive files to make room"

Digigunk
Name 2: Avery
Pronouns: They

#5 Post by Digigunk »

The long form text is hard for me. I honestly can only read a few of the forms without getting gooped with distractions :sick:

I’m hoping I can figure out the image adding thing cause that’s honestly my fav. Part of the current popular social media’s is that they are image heavy

uhpkkim

#6 Post by uhpkkim »

Digigunk wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:28 pm The long form text is hard for me. I honestly can only read a few of the forms without getting gooped with distractions :sick:

I’m hoping I can figure out the image adding thing cause that’s honestly my fav. Part of the current popular social media’s is that they are image heavy

That's valid, I'm surprised and how drawn I am to the format considering my own dyslexia. I think it being a conversation between different people makes it easier for me? You can also change the theme which might make it more easy to read. Feel free to message me about the image attachment problems if you can't figure em out

~~~

ANYWAY HERE'S A ROBOT FROM THE 80S THAT CAN LOOK AT SHEET MUSIC AND PLAY IT

theotonic

#7 Post by theotonic »

i love the robot!!!! now i am obligated to share the post about how you could use a knitting machine or even an old-school jaquard loom to run DOOM. if you visited the walters in 2019, you may have encountered this bitchin 19th century prayer book made of SILK woven entirely using a jacquard loom - the same principle applies

last night on my first of eleven six mile roundtrip walks to feed an elderly dog (cranky about this), i found a slightly rusty cast iron skillet in the alley behind my house. i've been home alone for a lot of days, which may explain why i felt a weirdly maternal urge to rehabilitate her even tho it's not even a particularly fancy one. lots of elbow grease and weird oven smells later, i now have a shiny seasoned cast iron and that is worthy of some 'holiday' 'cheer' :glad:

Bayer's Prayer

Digigunk
Name 2: Avery
Pronouns: They

#8 Post by Digigunk »

:cool: Cast iron restoration videos are honestly super satisfying haha I bet it feels good to have restored something-

uhpkkim

#9 Post by uhpkkim »

1 - hell yeah that knitting doom thread fucking rules :lizard:

2 - hell yeah you should restore my brand new cast-iron that i'm just really bad at taking care of :eyes: i was just thinking yesterday how much of a hassle it's been and how i neglect the shit out of it and am unprepared to be a cast iron mom :cry:

3 - a note to any new folks who see this thread, feel free to chime in / respond to any old post if you want (especially if you use the quote function), don't just feel like it's too late or too far gone :glad:

4 - A project I've been undertaking lately is I'm slowly redownloading and rebuilding my entire music collection in mp3 format on an external harddrive. I'm not sure where a bunch of my files went? Considering I can't find digital copies of albums I used to have ON CD in the past. I don't know, so I just decided to build off of what I -do- have. It's been very very satisfying to organize it all and slowly collect every album I want, including putting together full discographies for my faves (including old early stuff, demos, weird EPs nobody remembers, b-side comps, etc). This is going to be very useful because I canceled my Spotify premium at the end of this month :dead:

Here's an example of one I was working on last night:
devo.png
devo.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 250 times

uhpkkim

#10 Post by uhpkkim »

i still instinctively, at first glance, see any year that starts with a 2 as being "recent" or "new" (even, like, the early 2000s like 2001 or 2002) even though i've spent literally twice as long in the 2000's as I did in the 1900's.

Monica Vitti
Name 2: Uncle Cousin
Pronouns: he/him they/them

#11 Post by Monica Vitti »

I sometimes like to think about the basic operations, axioms, and stipulations of mathematical fields as if I am seeing them for the first time.

In arithmetic the basic operations are addition subtraction multiplication and division.

To divide an integer, say, to divide 10 by 2, amounts (maybe) to extending the Whole Number line (starting from 1 though) up to the dividend (10), and then cleaving it into equivalently apportioned subsections -- how many of which subsections being the divisor (2), the quantity belonging to each subsection being the quotient (5). eg:

1 2 3 4 5 || 6 7 8 9 10

We have 10 integers cleaved into 2 equivalently apportioned subsections, each subsection containing 5 elements. 10 / 2 = 5

But what if we decided we arbitrarily wanted to divide 10 into inequivalently apportioned subsections. In which case, we could get:

1 2 || 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Now we got 10 integers cleaved into 2 inequivalently apportioned subsections. One subsection containing 2 elements and one subsection containing 8 elements. Two quotients!

We could create a new symbol for this type of division as opposed to conventional division: ~/~. So, (in this case, arbitrarily) 10 ~/~ 2 = 2 && 8.

I don't know what the point of thinking like this would be besides throwing into relief what is happening in conventional division. Maybe one could imagine this asymmetrical division being utilized for 2000 years and all sorts of weird consequences coming from it. Or maybe a better mathematician than I would see ways that this would very quickly become unfeasible.

Josie
Name 2: Josie
Pronouns: She/her or e/em/eir

#12 Post by Josie »

I just learned that the worm in Richard Scarry books is called Lowly. Lowly Worm. What the hell Richard

uhpkkim

#13 Post by uhpkkim »

Saying "a slice of toast" sounds kind of weird right? "a slice of bread" is fine, I guess because you sliced it off the loaf. but once the bread slice has been toasted, i guess it's solidified into a new, distinct object, becoming a "piece" of toast (or simply "toast")? Maybe because you don't... toast the whole loaf and then slice off each individual toast slice. Hmmm.... much to think about :huh: or does it sound totally fine to everyone else

theotonic

#14 Post by theotonic »

Bayer's Prayer

Monica Vitti
Name 2: Uncle Cousin
Pronouns: he/him they/them

#15 Post by Monica Vitti »

Are you ever social icing and discover you are too warm and melt all the social ice?

GoodUsername
Name 2: Maria
Pronouns: they/she

#16 Post by GoodUsername »

wow! great discussion, this one! i'm having ag reat time :glad: :glad: :glad: :glad: :glad: :sad: :lizard: :lizard: :lizard: :lizard: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :heart:
uhpkkim wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:34 pm "ah shoot
Attachments
png-transparent-person-thumbs-up-thumb-hand-finger-arm-digit-thumbs-up-photography-thumb-signal-hand-model-thumbnail.png
png-transparent-person-thumbs-up-thumb-hand-finger-arm-digit-thumbs-up-photography-thumb-signal-hand-model-thumbnail.png (7.42 KiB) Viewed 101 times
i hav e the best usernameee

uhpkkim

#17 Post by uhpkkim »

The repeating cycle/lineage of parents saying things their parents said in an ironic way / to make fun of their parents

uhpkkim

#18 Post by uhpkkim »

the fact that sometimes you can find items NEW for cheaper than you can find them USED is proof to me that the world we live in cannot possibly be real