Songs that pop into / get stuck in your head constantly

Share and discuss art and media made out there in the world (music, books, movies, games, etc) by people who aren't you and/or your friends.
uhpkkim
Name 2: PK
Pronouns: they/them

Songs that pop into / get stuck in your head constantly

#1 Post by uhpkkim »

I don't know if anyone else has this experience but I always have a roster of songs/melodies that pop into my head at random at any given time and stay stuck there like an intrusive thought. Like, sometimes as often as once a day over the course of months. They're always really weird choices and usually not songs I ever actually listen to.

The current main culprit, that has popped into my head almost every day for the past month has been the hammer bros theme from Mario 3??

And it also kind of shares a theme/motif with Fever from Dr. Mario so sometimes it will morph into that

Bonus: sometimes my brain will start playing a... hidden track off a Spin Doctors CD of a melody being played on a bunch of kazoos (with Tommy Chong talking on top of it - "kazoos is not music, man") that I only know of because my family had the CD when I was a kid. :blank:

Does anyone else have songs like this? What are your's???

Tags:

uhpkkim

#2 Post by uhpkkim »

Bonus Bonus I just remembered that I made an ANCIENT spotify playlist back in late 2012 of the buckwild mix of songs that were in constant involuntary rotation in my head while shelving books at the library:

theotonic

#3 Post by theotonic »

hahaha the intrusive thought songs happen to me too! i went many years thinking that it was normal for the same 4-16 bar loop to play Max Volume Bass Boosted in the front of ur brain for weeks at a time and i was shocked to discover that it is often a special ND blessing / curse. chiptune video game music + upbeat electronic music w similar elements are common culprits. my personal Hammer Bros is Dr Wily Stage 1 theme from Megaman 2 and even moreso this freaken epic JAM Project cover i found on niconico in eighth grade

i can't remember many of the Hall of Fame longtime earworms but a few from recent memory:

Get Out of My House - Kate Bush is a song guaranteed to put me in a completely insane mood whenever my brain picks it up, because it is incredibly bizarre even by KB standards. sometimes i sing the "HEE HAWWWWWWW" donkey parts out loud w/o realizing it and having to explain myself

Bend Over - Wagon Christ is a very powerful song in my brain catalog that is near and dear to my heart. in 2018-19 i was living with someone who was kind but very loud and chaotic at odd hours and i needed a whole sleep ritual to tune it out. i would put on "CELESTIAL WHITE NOISE," close my eyes and play this entire song bar for bar in my head. downtempo but forward moving, chunky bassline, hypnotic undulating repetition, and just simple enough to recreate without having to think hard. i don't need to do all of that now that i live alone, but Bend Over has retained its utility as a tune i use to kick worse songs out of my head.
Bayer's Prayer

uhpkkim

#4 Post by uhpkkim »

Dr. Wily Stage 1 also gets stuck in my head pretty regularly as well! What is up with this weird fan-made Kate Bush music video haha it's very distracting from the song.

theotonic

#5 Post by theotonic »

uhpkkim wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:56 pm Dr. Wily Stage 1 also gets stuck in my head pretty regularly as well! What is up with this weird fan-made Kate Bush music video haha it's very distracting from the song.
i feel it adds to the ambiance (and also it's the one in my YT history (and also i have never watched it lmaoo this is a trip))
Bayer's Prayer

beebot
Name 2: becca
Pronouns: she/they

#6 Post by beebot »

Frequent sticky songs for me include:

Climax by Usher
Meet Me in the City by the Black Keys
Wake Up by Alicia Keys

As a child, Man! I feel like a woman! by Shania Twain would extremely often just pop into my head. I don’t even remember ever listening to that song as a kid

:huh: *shrug*