ITT: Fun facts

Strange mysteries, cryptic curiosities, small found treasures. What's going on in the dark forgotten corners? What's that light in the sky? What strange magics have you wielded? What's up with this cool old VHS tape?
uhpkkim
Name 2: PK
Pronouns: they/them

ITT: Fun facts

#1 Post by uhpkkim »

Eyyy here's a place to post some of your favorite fun facts, trivia, one-or-two-sentence oddities about the world, strange little tidbits, and other junk like that! If you want to!

Here's one: It's very likely that unicorns, as a concept / mythological creature, are actually the result of mistranslations and misinterpretations of simplified descriptions of the one-horned Indian rhinoceros :woah:

theotonic
Pronouns: they/them

#2 Post by theotonic »

until the turn of the 20th century, baltimore was the brickmaking capital of the states! common bricks (the "ugly" ones lining the inner layers of a brick structure, as opposed to the outward-facing, clean pressed "face" bricks) were cheap and easy to source+produce thanks to the rich deposits of clay that once lined the shores of the Inner Harbor - the distinct deep pinkish red color is a neat little geological feature. while plenty of shitty government/industry decisions have contributed to the present lack of green space/generally poorer air quality in south/east Baltimore, brickyards were the original developments in those areas (along with shipyards, part and parcel w the brick industry tbh).

baltimore bricks were eventually edged out by the "iron-spot bricks" from the rust belt, which were made with clays fortified by metallic materials from the mines.
Bayer's Prayer

beebot
Name 2: becca
Pronouns: she/they

#3 Post by beebot »

Did you know that there is no direct translation of “I love you” in Farsi? HOWEVER there are many ways to convey the sentiment including:

Jeegareto bokhoram = “I eat your liver”

And also

Jeegareh mani = “you are my liver”

:woah: :wink: